Suge Knight charged with murder

Words by Holly Keys

Death Row Records co-founder and former CEO Suge Knight has been officially charged with murder following a hit and run incident last week. The legendary hip-hop mogul is currently being held without bail.

Suge Knight who is known for Death Row Records, including his work with Tupac Shakur, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, MC Hammer and more. He has a rather controversial past and this is far from his first altercation with the law. He was shot six times last August at a VMAs afterparty hosted by Chris Brown, is the subject of conspiracy theories surrounding the ’90’s hip hop rivalries and the shootings of Tupac and Biggie, and has served two previous stints in jail for parole violations. Just a few months back in October, he was arrested for robbery and reportedly faced up to 30 years in prison. He was due to appear in court for that incident last week on Jan 27.

Last Thursday, Knight allegedly ran over two men in a parking lot following an argument on the set of the N.W.A biopic Straight Outta Compton, one of whom, Terry Carter, died of his injuries.

According to Complex, Knight was on the set to make amends with former friend Dr. Dre, who has a restraining order against him. Dre was allegedly uninterested in making peace, which led to Knight getting into an altercation with Dre’s security. Once Knight left the set he was contacted by Carter and asked to meet up at a different location. The two men were reportedly talking cordially when Cle “Bone” Sloan, a former Bloods affiliate who was working as a location scout on the set, approached the car and began punching Knight through the window. Knight then allegedly drove a few feet away before going into reverse and hitting Sloan. He then put his car into drive – striking and killing Carter. Sloan was admitted to hospital with minor injuries.

Knight was initially being held on a two million dollar bail that was later revoked with the L.A. County Sheriff Dept. citing that he was considered a flight risk and is capable of intimidating witnesses. Following an appearance in court on Tuesday where he entered a plea of not guilty, Knight was rushed to hospital for undisclosed reasons.

If convicted Knight faces life in prison.