Left. are one of my favourite recent discoveries, and I’m excited to share them with all of you here today. Their latest single Lay With Me caught my attention (read my full single review here) with its husky vocals and subdued melodies, as the Sydney duo get ready to release their debut album Sirens on Feb 6.
Left. are heading out on a little tour to celebrate Sirens really soon. We’ll be there, and we reckon you should head along too. Check out all the tour deets below.
We wanted to get to know them a little better, so we asked vocalist Sarah to share some of her favourite songs with us!
- My favourite track to wake up to is…this is hard because I am not a morning person…I’ve been listening to Flava by Rich Gang a lot in the morning. I have no idea what Young Thug is saying, but anyone who can pull off saying “Crew Cut” three times in one verse deserves some attention.
- The best track for cooking is… Calls by Jill Scott and Robert Glasper Experiment. This song and album (Black Radio 2) is seriously next level.
- The best track for spring cleaning is… I’m going to make things clear up early and explain that I am probably in the 99th percentile of Beyonce diehard fans, so this may get a bit one dimensional. Blow is seriously danceable and I need something to get my moving if I’m going to clean at all, let alone spring clean. It’s also about oral sex performed on a woman; a much more empowering ode than My Neck, My Back by Khia!
- The ultimate road trip track is….Sticky Fingers, Gold Snafu – the bassline, the whistling, the scream-along-ability, it’s got it all.
- My favourite love song is… La Ritournelle by Sebastian Tellier – it’s like an aria, it just builds and builds. Classic French drama
- The best track for sweet love makin’ is… Good Luv’n by BJ the Chicago Kid. Everything he writes is ridiculously sexy.
- The track that always gets the party started is… Kaytranada’s remix of Teedra Moses’ Be Your Girl. He has excellent taste and style. (link)
- The best track to wind down a crowd is… We generally only play originals, so I guess I could plug Freedom by us – I think it’s a pretty relaxing but uplifting song
- My favourite drunken karaoke track is…Billy Joel We Didn’t Start the Fire – I was actually put onto this song by a friend and haven’t looked back. I can’t really sing karaoke songs by women because for some reason karaoke tracks are always pitched way too high
- My favourite song to sing in the shower is…Beyonce’s Me, Myself & I – a down temp precursor to Irreplaceable, which is also in my repertoire (surprised?)
- A song that always makes me cry is… Asleep by The Smiths. Most depressing song ever but also beautiful and Morrisey’s voice is haunting…I don’t recommend listening to this song on Sunday mornings.
- I love going to sleep listening to….. I can’t sleep when there is music playing, my brain latches onto it too much to shut down. But I am deep into songs about sleep – Moon by Sia is an excellently relaxing song. Sia has been a big influence on me and she is killing it right now.
- I can’t stop dancing when I hear…. Paris by Little Dragon – it’s one of my favourite songs from 2014. Their music to me is the meaning of compelling modern pop music, and they Yukimi has influenced my own melodic and rhythmic vocal decisions. I have also spent a lot of time in Paris so it also makes me miss the city a lot… (PS read our Little Dragon interview here!)
Check it all out in this lovely playlist right here:
I doubt you need any more convincing; Left. are a wonderful part of the Sydney music scene. Here’s all the details to pre-order their music, and grab tickets to see them live:
Pre-order Sirens and you instantly get Lay With Me and Freedom!