Ecca Vandal is an upcoming artist whose name has been popping up all over the place lately – and the buzz is damn well justified. From her explosive live gigs, to her eclectic video clips and exciting, fresh sound, it’s clear that she’s on the up and up – and that we’ll be seeing a lot more of her in the coming months, including the highly anticipated release of a debut album.
She released the epic video clip for punk-infused Battle Royal back in February. The track sounds like what I imagine would happen if Gwen Stefani recorded a song with Showbiz-era Muse. Check it out here:
We wanted to know a bit more about her, so we asked for some of her favourite tunes.
1. My favourite track to wake up to is… King Kunta, Kendrick Lamar. Kendrick’s latest single !!!! So great.. King Kunta is one of the original rebels back in the day
2. The best track for cooking is… Flamenco Sketches, Miles Davis. One of the coolest tracks off one of my fave records, Kind of Blue
3. The best track for spring cleaning is… The Shape of Punk to Come, Refused. I can still feel the mad energy when they performed this track live…. need to channel that when spring cleaning cos cleaning can be hella boring !!
4. The ultimate road trip track is…. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, Radiohead. This tune is borderline trance-like… kinda. It’s a good one to cruise to, if only my car had cruise control!! 😉
5. My favourite love song is… You Send Me, Sam Cooke. I often sing this to those I lurrrrve or… refer to question 6 😉 !!
6. The best track for sweet love makin’ is…SpottieOttieDopaliscious, OutKast. It’s hot!
7. The track that always gets the party started is… Hip Hop, Dead Prez. Oh this is just damn cool, it always goes off !!
8. The best track to wind down a crowd is… You Don’t Love Me (No, No, No) Dawn Penn. Love Dawn Penn, she’s a straight up legendary reggae vocalist.. and reggae man, it’s chill.. can wind anything to dem grooves 😉
9. My favourite drunken karaoke track is… Bust A Move, Young MC. It can get raucous in the room!
10. My favourite song to sing in the shower is… Man Next Door, Massive Attack. This tune is always in ma head 😉
11. A song that always makes me cry is… Unravel, Bjork. I remember the first time I heard this track… there were tears.. still powerful 18 years later…
12. I love going to sleep listening to… Classical, anything by Bach. It’s usually quite calming with the amazing harmony, unless it’s Ravel or something 😉
13. I can’t stop dancing when I hear…. Window Licker, Aphex Twin. The ultimate complex beat track where the grooves flip but you can still move the whole way through
Here it is in one handy dandy playlist for you!