Brisbane’s Holy Holy make riveting, emotionally-charged music, and are currently celebrating the release of their latest single, History. The band, at the core of which is duo Timothy Carroll and Oscar Dawson, are set to embark on a run of shows in support of Boy & Bear, before embarking on their own nationwide headline tour. In the midst of all this, Holy Holy will be appearing at Brisbane’s BIGSOUND showcase in just over a week. Read our feature with them here.
The two composers met while working in South-East Asia and have had a fascinating, somewhat serendipitous journey to finally become Holy Holy. We picked the brains of guitarist Oscar, to find out what songs inspire, enliven, relax him and so much more… and the results are pretty hilarious.
HOLY HOLY Presents: Favourite Tunes
- My favourite track to wake up to is… the news. Sorry – boring – but need a few moments to inject pure adrenaline into my heart before listening to music. IF I was to go through the violent trauma of waking to music… Jump by Van Halen.
- The best track for cooking is… Well, what am I cooking? Cooked a roast the other week and listened to The Best of The Hollies. Comfort music for comfort food. Was making breakfast the other day and listened to an old Split Enz record. I forget how good that band was. Spent some time over winter listening to Sharon Van Etten, to relax. I feel that cooking ought to be relaxing and sometimes listening to the wrong music leads to an undesirable culinary outcome.
- The best track for spring cleaning is… Jump by the Pointer Sisters – from the ‘Love Actually’ soundtrack – anything to force me to do it faster.
- The ultimate road trip track is… Although this isn’t a ‘track’, been listening to ‘90s Radio on Spotify lately – not sure if this is particularly enjoyable for reasons of nostalgia, or if it’s because the ‘90s are kinda trendy now. But the drive whizzes by.
- My favourite love song is… 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover by Paul Simon. Perhaps that isn’t quite the sentiment you are after though.
- The best track for sweet love makin’ is… Choke Me, Spank Me, Pull My Hair by Xzibit. Have you ever read the lyrics to that song? What a pile of shit.
- The track that always gets the party started is… Let’s Get Retarded by The Black Eyed Peas. This one really separates the wheat from the chaff and I know who my true friends are (please see next question).
- The best track to wind down a crowd is… Let’s Get Retarded by The Black Eyed Peas – this one clears out the party and I can finally relax with my only true friends (please see prior question).
- My favourite drunken karaoke track is… Boys Of Summer, Don Henley – mainly because the chorus vocal is so high – it’s basically impossible to hit for a singer such as myself (caveat: I’m not the vocalist in Holy Holy). Dutch courage will give me the gumption to give it a proper go.
- A song that always makes me cry is… Hard Out Here for a Pimp, by Three 6 Mafia. The daily struggle to make ends meet; the dangers of inner-city living in a modern dystopia; negotiating business deals with parties who might have conflicting interests. A tragic insight into the pitfalls of urban life.
- I love going to sleep listening to….. a podcast. Sorry. Can’t sleep listening to songs. Sleep and music have a funny relationship.
- I can’t stop dancing when I hear…. Don’t Stop Me Now by Queen. Ohhh Fredddie.
We couldn’t collate this into a precise tracklist unfortunately, but we did our best! Enjoy!
HOLY HOLY: THE HISTORY TOUR
THU 09 OCT | THE NORTHERN, BYRON BAY NSW – FREE ENTRY SHOW
FRI 10 OCT | THE BRIGHTSIDE, BRISBANE QLD – Tickets available from www.oztix.com.au
SAT 25 OCT | THE DUNSBOROUGH TAVERN, DUNSBOROUGH WA – Tickets available from www.oztix.com.au
SUN 26 OCT | THE AVIARY ROOFTOP, PERTH WA – FREE ENTRY SHOW
THU 30 OCT | TRANSIT BAR, CANBERRA ACT – Tickets available from www.moshtix.com.au
FRI 31 OCT | RAD, WOLLONGONG NSW – Tickets available from www.oztix.com.au
SAT 01 NOV | NEWTOWN SOCIAL CLUB, SYDNEY NSW – Tickets available from www.newtownsocialclub.com
FRI 07 NOV | JIVE, ADELAIDE SA – Tickets available from www.moshtix.com.au
SAT 08 NOV | NORTHCOTE SOCIAL CLUB, MELBOURNE VIC – Tickets available from www.northcotesocialclub.com