In the final days of his presidency, Barack Obama has been wondering about where his career path will be heading next. In a recent post to Instagram, Swedish ambassador Mark Brzezinski noted that the president has joked to him, “I’m still waiting for my job at Spotify…’cause I know y’all loved my playlist.”
Tonight President Obama invited all of the Ambassadors he personally chose to an intimate reception at the White House. I finally got the chance to thank him for the life-changing appointment to Sweden. He said word for word: “I loved visiting you in Stockholm, it was my favorite trip. I plan to go back there really soon.” I told him I have the perfect opportunity for him to come visit and he told me “to send him the details on Brilliant Minds.” He also declared– “I’m still waiting for my job at Spotify… Cuz’ I know y’all loved my playlist.” I am still swooning. 😂😂😍🌟🌟 @barackobama @whitehouse ❤️. @symposiumsthlm So proud of Mark for serving this historic President with all his heart!! 🙏🏻🇺🇸
President Obama has been no stranger to Spotify playlists, or to music in general, as has been well documented. America’s trendiest president has made several playlists over the years, including a summer playlist and one for a workout. First Lady Michelle Obama has also dipped her own fingers in the programming pool, with an all-girl playlist celebrating women.
But now it seems like Obama may have a future at the streaming giant, after all. In response to Obama’s Spotify joke, CEO Daniel Ek tweeted out an actual job offer, with a link to a real listing and real place to apply for the role. It’s clearly been tailored specifically to Obama, and is pretty damn hilarious.
— Daniel Ek (@eldsjal) January 9, 2017
The job description in full reads as follows:
Spotify is growing globally, and we are now looking for a President of Playlists. In this position you will be overseeing our music curation and playlists team, across offices around the world.
Spotify started in Sweden in 2006, but we’re now in over 60 countries and counting. As an organization, we are full of hope, and always open to change.
What you’ll do:
- Provide world-class leadership to our playlist editors and supporting staff.
- Identify and substantiate new playlist ideas, e.g. from a playlist for shooting hoops with your friends, to the perfect warm up playlist for addressing the nation about health care legislation that bears your name.
- Analyze data and performance of playlists in a clear and transparent manner using all available intelligence. Attend daily briefings.
- Celebrate our diversity of playlists, from Viva Latino (3.4 million followers) to Rap Caviar (5.3 million followers).
Who you are:
- Have at least eight years experience running a highly-regarded nation.
- Familiar with the Spotify platform, with experience in programming playlists at a federal level. Anything from an eclectic summer playlist, to a celebratory, “I just found my birth certificate” playlist.
- Have good relationships with a wide range of artists and musicians. Ever had Kendrick Lamar play at your birthday bash? We’d love to hear about it!
- Can speak passionately about playlists at press events. Let us be clear, you should be nothing short of one of the greatest speakers of all time.
- A keen attention to detail and consistency. Able to work closely with other departments, so playlists can hold up to public scrutiny.
- Someone with good team spirit, excellent work ethic, a friendly and warm attitude, and a Nobel Peace Prize.
If this sounds like you or if you are President Barack Obama, you can apply for the coveted position here.
Image: Consequence of Sound