Gearing up for the release of their debut album, Shake Shiver in July, Art of Sleeping are about 5 months into what will probably be their biggest year yet (though last year was pretty big for them too, with their track Crazy ending up on our end of year list). From nailing it on their recent tour, to releasing one of the most interesting clips this month, the boys will also be appearing at this year’s Splendour In The Grass just 10 days after their album drops. Thankfully, they had a little spare time in their busy schedules to let us know what the important things, like what they like to cook to, or what song makes them cry. They’re going to be trekking around the country for most of June as well, so we suggest hurrying along to catch them in action. It’s only up from here for these guys!
1. My favourite track to wake up to is… Hljomalind by Sigur Ros. It was my alarm for years, beautiful track and EP, easy on the ears for the daily grind ahead.
2. The best track for cooking is… Africa by Toto. I grew up in South Africa and so this song has always been close to my heart, reminds me of great times in my childhood. To this day it’ll always be my favourite on my ‘BBQ’ playlist.
3. The best track for spring cleaning is… Desire Be, Desire Go by Tame Impala. That album with my earphones blaring while I clean my man cave, pure bliss.
4. The ultimate road trip track is… Lights Out, Words Gone by Bombay Bicycle Club. It reminds me of a lot of good times on the road as a band, a lot of our inspiration and writing getaways involved Bombay on repeat, especially the road trips and early stages of ideas for our album.
5. My favourite love song is… Simple Man by Graham Nash. It is the most simply written and recorded song but so brilliant, never gets old.
6. The best track for sweet love makin’ is… September by Earth, Wind & Fire. How could this not get you in the mood? Check the vid.
7. The track that always gets the party started is… Can’t Get Enough Of Your Love Baby by Barry White. We always pump this right before our shows, don’t ask me why but it just gets us in the mood, gets us in swag mode.
8. The best track to wind down a crowd is… Cowgirl In The Sand by Neil Young. We played this as a cover for years and was always a crowd pleaser, our version a definite slow burner but instrumentally tasteful with clever, soothing vocal loops making it a whole new experience. Dropping this mid-set always lightened the mood in a positive way.
9. My favourite drunken karaoke track is… Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. Such a killer track, always ends up as the nights closer.
10. My favourite song to sing in the shower is… Rapture by Blondie. Don’t know about singing this one but definitely air bass this one in the shower.
11. A song that always makes me cry is… Sparks by Coldplay – first dance at my wedding, enough said.
12. I love going to sleep listening to… Glosoli by Sigur Ros. Gives me shivers every time, amazing music video too, this song was also an inspiration for the intro of one of our tracks on our upcoming debut album.
13. I can’t stop dancing when I hear… My Number by Foals. I remember when it first came out, the whole band entourage drinking scotch by the pool, party vibes and laughter all round. We were suppose to be songwriting.
Art of Sleeping tour dates:
FRI 05 JUN – TRANSIT BAR, CANBERRA
SAT 06 JUN – OXFORD ART FACTORY, SYDNEY
FRI 12 JUN – CORNER HOTEL, MELBOURNE
SAT 13 JUN – JIVE, ADELAIDE
THU 18 JUN – MOJOS, FREMANTLE
FRI 19 JUN – PRINCE OF WALES, BUNBURY
SAT 20 JUN – AMPLIFIER, PERTH
FRI 26 JUN – SOL BAR, MAROOCHYDORE
SAT 27 JUN – TRIFFID HANGER, BRISBANE